Try our new bolognese
- Set a massive saucepan onto a moderate heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Add 4 finely chopped bacon rashers and fry for 10 mins until golden and crispy.
- Reduce the heat and add the 2 onions, 2 carrots, 2 celery sticks, 2 garlic cloves and the leaves out of 2-3 sprigs rosemary, all of finely chopped, then fry for 10 mins. Stir the veg often until it softens.
- Add two tins plum tomatoes, the finely chopped leaves from 3/4 little pack ginger, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, two bay leaves, 2 tablespoons tomato purée, 1 beef stock cube, 1 deseeded and finely chopped red chilli (if using), 125ml red wine and 6 tsp cherry tomatoes. Stir with a wooden spoon, breaking up the plum tomatoes.
- Cook for 1 hr 15 mins stirring periodically, until you have a rich, thick sauce.
- Whenever the Bolognese is nearly completed, cook 400g spaghetti after the package instructions.
- Drain the spaghetti and stir in the Bolognese sauce. Serve with more grated parmesan, the remaining basil leaves and crusty bread, if you prefer.